Saturday, September 1, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

I never realize how much goes on in a week until I start to write this blog!
Friday (8/24)- Had my Deutschkurs, went with my host mom and sister to a BBQ (not like America's at all, obviously), with their church, and my host sister stayed overnight there with a bunch of other kids her age (confirmation group).
Saturday was fun day! I saw Hornussen (Swiss farmer golf, as my host parents described it) in the morning, then went shopping with my friend in the afternoon, and in the evening washed and prepped the horses with my host sister for the show on Sunday.
Sunday I had a Rotary meeting in the morning. It was really fun to meet all of the exchange students (well half, they separated us into two groups based on where you are living). We all have pins that we exchange with each other that are from our country (or state if your USA), so my blazer is getting full of them. :] After the rotary meeting my host parents drove me to the horse show (Some of you might have already seen how I did on Facebook). I competed in the Gymkhana, which is basically an obstacle course on horseback. I ended up getting fourth place and winning a jacket :] Because the show grounds are so close to the farm where the horses live, we just rode the horses back. There were five of us on horseback, with a one-horse cart and another horse attached to that cart. We made quite the procession :]
Monday I was back to my Deutschkurs, and my host sister left for Tessin with her school, which is a canton near Italy. (See what I said about field trips???) Tuesday was a pretty relaxing day. We just stayed at home.
Wednesday! That was a fun and very packed day! My Deutschkurs went on a field trip around Bern :] We looked like the most ridiculous group of tourists ever. First we're all kids, and we were all speaking English to each other with German and Spanish thrown in, because four of the them are from South America, and every single one of us had a camera and were taking pictures of everything. The point of the field trip was to practice our German by buying things from different shops around Bern (I got band-aids and bread), but we did end up getting a bit sidetracked from time to time. For instance, we found a chocolate shop and went there instead of finding a shop with the things we needed. The we went to a Cafe to get coffee (somehow fit 13 people around an 8 person table), and went to the historical museum to see the Einstein exhibit. It was a lot of fun. I'll post some pictures :] After that field trip I had to quick catch a train home so I could go with my host mom and her friend on her friends boat. We were on Bielersee, and even though we were almost in the middle I could still touch. After a storm started coming we headed in. I worked out with some friends that evening, and I was very tired when I got home.
Thursday was a much more relaxing day, thankfully. I took a nap when I got home from Deutschkurs :]
Yesterday was Friday, and after my Deutschkurs I went shopping with one of the exchange students and I got a journal, so I can write in that every night and not forget anything :]  Went grocery shopping with my host mom, picked up my host sister (It was pretty quiet without her here all week).
It was my parent's 26 anniversary yesterday so I thought about them a lot yesterday. But I'm having a good time here and I'm so glad I chose to be an exchange student :]
Tschüss!
-Anne-Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment