Monday, September 9, 2013

Tschüss!

    This is the end. (Hold your breath and count to ten). I seriously can not write that sentence without thinking about Skyfall by Adele. haha
    In reality it was the end about two months ago. And I'm just writing this now. I'll just use the excuse that I was too busy trying to get back into American mode. :]
    I miss Switzerland, and I miss the people more. All my host families and friends. I miss them so much. Thankfully it is relatively easy to get in contact with them through e-mail, skype, and instant messaging. But they still feel far away. Now instead of being homesick for the US, I'm homesick for Switzerland.
    In other news, my culture shock is going well. I honestly don't think it really hit me until I went to college. Being home with my family, seeing everyone I hadn't seen in a year, and seeing all my horses again really kept my mind off of it. But now, I see people my age and I sometimes can't help but think "Seriously? How can you think like that? This is why people in other countries don't like Americans." It just feels like some people are ignorant of the world, but I know I can't do anything about that. I wish going on exchange was required for life, the world would be such a better place, people would actually understand each other and problems could be solved.
    Okay, I guess my culture shock is a work in progress according to that last paragraph, getting annoyed with the way people do things is one of the steps. haha Well as I said before, I'm in college now, at South Dakota State University. I took a German placement test to see which courses I could take to get a German minor, and for a girl who could say "Hello" and "My name is..." when the plane took off, I think I did pretty good! I tested out of thirteen credits of German, all I have to do is pass my level 400 course with a C or better. I think I can handle that. :] Here at SDSU, you only need 20 credits to get a minor, and I'll have 17 done hopefully after this semester. My parents are pretty happy about that!
    Speaking of college, I should probably be doing homework and getting ready for class. This will probably be my last blog, unless I go on another adventure in the future. So until then, tschüss! Ich hoffe wir sehen uns wieder!
Liebe Grüsse, Anne-Marie

6 comments:

  1. P.S. The last two sentences mean: goodbye! I hope we see each other again! Best Regards, Anne-Marie
    :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Anne-Marie! J'ai lu ton article dans le "Prior Lake American". J'étais très contente de lire de ton séjour extraordinaire en Suisse! Je suis d'accord, comme toi, que tout le monde devrait faire une échange. J'espère que tu vas bien. Continues-tu à parler/lire le français aussi? Je vois que tu parles allemand maintenant. As-tu parlé français en Suisse aussi? C'est un petit pays, mais on parle trois langues!

    Bonne chance à l'université!
    -Madame Hanson-Follingstad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Madame Hanson-Follingstad!
      Je comprend plus, mais je parle pas bon. I speak German much better than French now, though I would love to be fluent in both. :] And Switzerland actually has four official languages, the fourth being Romansch, though it is not widely spoken. Merci beaucoup pour vos bon voeux!
      -Anne-Marie

      Delete
    2. Wow! Hard to believe the year has gone by -- so proud of you, chere tochter.
      Love, Mom

      Delete
    3. Liebe Anne-Marie
      Ich habe erst jetzt deinen letzten Eintrag gelesen ... Wie ich dich verstehe!!
      Auch wir / ich vermisse dich! Ich denke viel an dich und an alles, was wir gemeinsam erlebt haben ... Gestern war ich wieder am irisch Tanzabend in Bern... In der Schweiz ist jetzt Herbst, mit den goldenen Blätter, Stürme und Regen ... Erinnerst du dich an unsere Wanderung durch die Taubenlochschlucht?
      Liebe Anne-Marie, machs gut und vielleicht bis bald?!?
      love, your Swissmom Christine

      Delete
    4. Christine! :D
      Ich denke es ist schon Winter hier! Wir haben jetzt Schnee!
      Die Taubenlochschlucht war so schön mit alle die farbig Blätter.. Ich vermisse dich auch und wirklich hoffe dass wir sehen uns bald!
      Love, Anne-Marie

      Delete